Doug Benson has more than 25 years’ experience litigating and resolving large loss complex property damage cases for owners and their insurers. Disputes involved highly technical issues leading to disagreements as to insurance coverage, causation, valuation of damages, policy exclusions, underwriting concerns, rescissions, duties as between multiple parties including contractors, subcontractors, architects, engineers, governmental agencies and material suppliers as well as ascertaining the duties as between multiple layers of coverage and/or participating carriers, various terms and conditions of insurance policies and subrogation rights.
The last 20 years Mr. Benson exclusively represented homeowners and homeowner association in construction defect matters involving design and construction related issues. Mr. Benson’s representation spanned 8 states in both State and Federal Courts. Frequent lecturer, instructor, seminar/webinar presenter for Bar Associations, Trade Groups, insurance companies and attorneys.
Currently a mediator for Jefferson County Courts and former San Diego Superior Court Panel Mediator
Education and Training
- 50 hours of Mediation Training
- Assisted Professor Weinstein in setting up the Mediation Clinic in the San Diego City Attorney’s Office
- Numerous ABA Dispute Resolution programs
- California Western School of Law, JD
- San Diego State University, BA
- Jefferson County Mediation volunteer mediator for Jefferson County Small Claims Court – various disputes including HOA’s, construction defects, landlord tenant, property damage/theft, collections to name a few.
- Advisory Board for Dare to Share Ministries (Christian organization dedicated to reaching every teenager for Christ through another teenager)
- Community Associations Institute former Board Member
- Benson Mediation, LLC Golden, CO – Principal – 2017 to Present
- GBC Enterprises, LLC, Golden, CO – Principal – 2013 to Present – Residential and commercial property management and leasing.
- Benson & Associates, PC, AKA Benson, Kerrane, Storz & Nelson PC, Golden, CO – Founder and Managing Partner, September 2003 – May 2015 Plaintiff construction defect practice.
- Burdman & Benson, LLC, San Diego – Founding Member, opened Las Vegas office and Denver office. Managing the Denver office. January 1998 – September 2003. Plaintiff construction defect practice.
- Cozen & O’Connor, San Diego – started as Associate and advanced to Partner. 1990-1998. Represented insurance companies and owners in recovery actions, subrogation claims and insurance bad faith claims.